My Philosophy to tutoring
Most tutors will subscribe to a set of values that they publish or will become clear after a short conversation with them. Here’s my philosophy:
“I will provide a safe space that is quiet and conducive to learning. I work to ensure your child is happy and achieving their best in my care. Parents and Carers may expect kindness, honesty, integrity and respect in my dealings with them and their child.”
What does that mean in practice? Here’s what you can expect from me:
- I will maintain a DBS Check that is current and up to date, and available to view on request.
- All consultations and lessons remain private and confidential.
Best quality teaching
- I will only teach in subject areas where I am qualified to do so; I am a KS1 and KS2 PGCE (Postgraduate Degree) qualified state school teacher, and fully competent to teach primary school children aged between age 4 and 11.
- I teach English and Maths, and run a course for 11 Plus entrance exams, specialising in Colchester Grammar School entrance exams.
- I will only teach face to face – I don’t believe distance/ online learning is best practice for KS1 & KS2 children.
- Each lesson will be individually planned according to your child’s specific needs.
- Every child is different, and I will engage with them at their level, at a pace suitable for them, and in a manner appropriate to their learning style and personality.
Esteem and Mental Health
- Your child will never be ‘in trouble’ for getting it wrong – we will just try new ways to get it right.
- I will build a child’s self esteem by making learning a fun and engaging experience.
- I will always have complete faith in your child’s ability to progress.
Feedback on Progress
- I will regularly assess your child’s progress.
- I will provide regular updates on your child’s progress.
- I will be honest and straight talking about expectations, and provide thoughtful insights on your child’s ability and learning needs.
- I will only teach lessons that are required and appropriate for your child.
- I will not overstate learning needs, or suggest a need for tuition where no such need exists.
- I will keep accurate records of all lessons.
- Fair notice will be given for cancellations.
- Lessons will run to time.